When starting a blog, an important step i always recommend to newbie bloggers is setting up a feed burner especially for WordPress. its a very crucial service because it boosts bloggers traffic and helps bloggers track performance of there respective blogs.
According to Wiki, FeedBurner is a web feed management provider launched in 2004, founded by Dick Costolo, Eric Lunt, Steve Olechowski, and Matt Shobe to provides custom RSS feeds and management tools to bloggers, podcasters, and other web-based content publishers.
Some FeedBurner basics are;
- Free and simple to use interface
- Free email subscription, email delivery time, and email subject title.
- Unlimited number of subscribers using Feedburner.
- Monetisation feature using Adsense for feeds to monetize FeedBurner feeds.
- Branding, controlling and tracking your feed and email subscriber.
Always set up you feeds on the first day of starting a new blog. Its always a good practice to use a cachee name or keyword in your feed name, to boost your Search Engine Optimization.
Proceedure to set up FeedBurner RSS feed:
- Open Google FeedBurner webpage and sign in using your Gmail or Google apps account. On the first page, you will see an option to add your blog URL. If it’s a new WordPress blog, create a dummy post (test post) to set up feedBurner.
- Copy your blog feed URL and paste it as shown in the picture and click on next. For any WordPress blog your default feed would be something like : http://domain.com/feed .Replace domain.com with actual domain name.
- In the next page specify the feed name. Keep it same as your domain name. In case if you have a long domain name, you can use the short name for your feeds. If you are creating a micro niche site, you should Prefer using your Keyword in Feed title, it’s make your feed reach to more target audience.
- In the next screen , you will get a confirmation message stating that your feed is ready.
So now you have successfully created a feedburner feed for your blog. As a free option, Feedburner is the best but I miss many features when I compare to other paid and cheap options available in the market. Here is a post in which I tried to find out changes, which might make Feedburner best free Email service in Future.
Ask any question if you wish, will be glad to answer.