How Much Does it Cost to Start a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog?
Hosting a blog can be a costly, a cost that has to be incurred by every newbie blogger. Many blog enthusiasts ask what the best blogging platform is. And I always say, that depends. It depends on whether you what a free blog or paid blog. I should say, a paid blog comes with very many advantages. Anyway let’s get straight to the issue at hand
NB: “ personally I recommend wordpress”.
Check out my article on how to set up a wordpress blog
There is no limit when it comes to investing in your new blog, in this article, I will share with you the minimum amount you may spend to create your professional blog.
Basic setup costs of a WordPress Blog?
The beauty about wordpress is that the software is free and you can start with as little as $28 from some hosting companies like iPage, 1and 1 e.t.c.
- WordPress software
- Domain name
- Web hosting plan
- Installation and Setup (Free or Paid)
- WORDPRESS SOFTWARE (@wordpress.org)
The WordPress software is free. You can download it from the WordPress.org page.
2. DOMAIN NAME (www.yourdomain.com)
The domain name will be the web address to your blog or website, choosing a domain name is easy but you should consider choosing a catchy name, a name that can easily be remembered and maybe is unique on the internet. Domain name prices range from $6 to upto $30. for a newbie blogger, i would recommend you to buy a .com domain name. Some hosting providers give free domain names with every purchase of hosting. You need to ensure that you domain name is brandable and seo friendly.
Hosting packages with free domain names;
if you want to start a blog you can start with a minimal cost with a free domain
- Godaddy webhosting for $1 a month @ $12 annually comes with a free domain. VISIT GODADDY
- Godaddy wordpress hosting for $1 a month @ $12 annually comes with a free domain. VISIT GODADDY
- Ipage web hosting for $1.99 a month @ $23.88 annually comes with a free domain. VISIT IPAGE
- Free domain with Promo hosting of $35.95 per month for 1 year from Bluehost. VISIT BLUEHOST
Cheap Domain providers
- Cheap domain at $0.99 annually from GODADDY. VISIT GODADDY
- Cheap domain from $0.99 annually from 1 and 1. VISIT 1and1
- Domain starting at $9.99 annually from mydomain.com. VISIT MYDOMAIN.COM
- Domain starting at $ 9.99 per year from Domain.com. VISIT DOMAIN.COM
NB. Choose a domain from .com, .org, .net with you want a local domain you can choose .co.ug and .ug.
3. WEB HOSTING (HOSTING SERVER OR SPACE)
This with the most crucial part of your blog, without it, your blogging with a self hosted WordPress blog wouldn’t be possible. I would suggest that you do not compromise and only look for quality but affordable. You a newbie blogger, in order not to strain yourself, shared hosting would be a good option.
WordPress specific hosting recommendations
- $1 Promo Managed WordPress Hosting.
- Ipage wordpress hosting at $45 per year (free domain included)
- 1 and 1 wordpress hosting from $12 for the first year.
Set-up cost: (Free [DIY] or upto $99)
You can check out some of our tuitorials and articles available on this blog on how to start and benefit from a wordpress blog. Follow some of the links to learn more;
- How to Install and Setup WordPress Multisite Network.
- How to Install WordPress Manually.
- How to Install a WordPress Theme.
- How to Create a WordPress Post.
- How to Install a WordPress Plugin.
More to come.
Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the setting up of your new self-hosted WordPress blog and Feel free to share this post with your friends and followers on Facebook, Twitter, and Goggle Plus!